Our sweetest songs are those...

"We look before and after,
And pine for what is not:
Our sincerest laughter
With some pain is fraught;
Our sweetest songs are those that tell of saddest thought."

I might have used this quote to often embellish my school essays, but had never completely embraced the soul of Shelley's words till I heard this - Extreme happiness that almost, inexplicably,  borders on a profound sadness.

This hauntingly beautiful melody perfectly embodies Shelley's ode. It brings with it lingering memories of days long gone, moments that we hold dear to our heart. There is a wistful, far-away quality to it which kindles dreams and stirs up nameless emotions, a desire to reach out for the intangible.
It warms the heart but with it there is also a tear glistening somewhere in the corner of the eye.
It reminds us that happiness and sadness are both fleeting and temporal, we never know what the next moment might bring our way, and that is life...

The 'Theme From A Summer Place' will also remain special to me as it will always remind me of the glorious summer of 2012 - when I experienced my first European summer, when I was an awestruck witness to the beauty that Nature unfurled on its canvas after the long,dark days of winter, when one of my fondest dreams came true...

As I close my eyes and let myself submerge in Max Steiner's heartbreakingly beautiful symphony, I cannot help but feel that maybe being alive and listening to this music is reason enough to be deliriously happy...





Here is Percy Faith's mesmerizing recording of the same which, decades on, remains one of the most famous and widely-recognized movie themes of all time.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for the memories

Remembering the Roses

The two most precious things in the city...