The Call of the Wilderpeople

I'm not a movie watcher. I'm a movie lover. I don't leave the cinematic moments behind in the darkness of an empty theater. I carry them out with me, safely ensconced in a secret nook of my heart. Films sustain me, they carry me through crests and troughs, through ebbs and tides, through laughter and tears.

One such recent experience was watching 'The Hunt for the Wilderpeople'. To me, it is undoubtedly one of the most stunningly beautiful, uproariously funny and deeply moving films ever. If the sole purpose of cinema is to bring us joy, then it can't get any better than this little gem from Down Under. As a friend described it perfectly, it is the 'It's A Wonderful Life' of our times. High praise, but richly deserved. Rarely does a film bring so much happiness and positivity, it lifts up the spirits like none other.
It helped me pick up the pieces after a personal trauma, it made me happy, hopeful, more willing to embrace life. So much so that watching this movie has almost become a spiritual exercise for me.

The lore of Mauktekahu where the waters 'wet the cloak of the sky' bewitches me. The unconditional motherly love of Auntie Bella brings tears to my eyes. Ricky Baker and his 'skux life' mantra makes me want to snap the fetters of a mundane existence and get lost in the 'majestical' bush with him and Uncle Hec.

So many beautiful moments - each an experience, a life lesson, a gift!

When life makes you tumble and fall, it's time to get up and answer the Wilderpeople's call!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Roses

Thank you for the memories

'Journey' to 'Paradise' through music