'Journey' to 'Paradise' through music

You always remember the moment when you discovered a song. When the lyrics first spoke to you, or they spoke about you. It is the beginning of a kinship, an unspoken bond, a 'private emotion'.
It is then you realize that you are no longer alone in your thoughts. Someone, somewhere has navigated through the same whirlpool of emotions, or has, at least, recognized the turbulence.
And they have expressed it eloquently and it is in their expressions that one finds much-needed comfort and succour. 

These songs have played a very important role at crucial junctures in my life. They have given me hope and strength. They have taught me that life is too precious to wallow in misery and self-pity, and consequently lose sight of the adventures that present itself at every turn, no matter how small.

Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
 "Just a small town girl
Livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere
Just a city boy
Born and raised in south Detroit
He took the midnight train goin' anywhere.."


These lines resonate so deeply with me. The first time I had heard this song was during my first stay alone and abroad. This gave me courage and confidence like none other. Made me feel invincible, so much so that my blogger biography till this day are these same lines. Every time I ventured out by myself, for just a walk or for a trip, Steve Perry's voice urged me to take the "midnight train goin' anywhere"....



Coldplay - Paradise
"When she was just a girl
She expected the world
But it flew away from her reach
And the bullets catch in her teeth
Life goes on, it gets so heavy
The wheel breaks the butterfly
Every tear a waterfall
In the night the stormy night she'll close her eyes
In the night the stormy night away she'd fly..."

"Life goes on, it gets so heavy"...an unbearable heaviness that is almost strangulating.
A tender heart meets a bitter, cruel end..."the wheel breaks the butterfly".
Hearts are broken and tears are shed, for days and nights on end..."every tear a waterfall" that threatens to drown you...
But you have to get up on your feet even when life or people pull you down. You must rise. Rise regardless.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Roses

Thank you for the memories