Of a Cathedral, a Saint and a Hunchback

In the winter of 2012-13, I finally fulfilled my long cherished dream of visiting the City of Love, the City of Light, the land of 'joie de vivre' ! It was a birthday present that I got for myself!
Paris was beautiful, amazing, spellbinding. I could go on endlessly; and it would take me several more posts to describe my short but incredibly memorable Parisian adventure. 

This post is dedicated to my visit to the Notre Dame Cathedral. This was one of the high points of my Paris trip, in fact, of all my travels. It has been a dream ever since, as a school kid, I had read a translated, abridged version of the Victor Hugo classic 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame', it has fueled my imagination ever since. 

As I made my way to the fabled cathedral, a trusted map pointing my way forward, I came upon this sign which trumped all maps. This was definitely, undoubtedly the surest sign that the Cathedrale Notre Dame de Paris was right ahead.



And there it was - majestic, magnificent, awe-inspiring!




And then I stepped into the cathedral and into centuries of history. It was indescribable. I lack the eloquence to put my emotions to words. Hence I resort to John Donne's beautiful oration to help my cause.
And into that gate we shall enter, and in that house we shall dwell, where there shall be no cloud nor sun, no darkness nor dazzling, but one equal light; no noise nor silence, but one equal music; no fears nor hopes, but one equal possession; no foes nor friends, but one equal communion and identity; no ends nor beginnings, but one equal eternity

This was also the place where the Maid of Orleans, Joan of Arc was beatified. Having read so much about her, having been moved immensely by her heroic yet tragic life, having actually begun this blog with reminiscences of a story read way back in school which was dedicated to her memory (Remembering the Roses); it was a priceless moment which I will forever treasure.



As I walked out of the cathedral, the shadows were lengthening, it was that ephemeral hour of dusk when daylight was yet to disappear fully, and the street lights were yet to come to life. I looked back for one last, long, fond glance at the cathedral, and wondered if I might catch a fleeting glimpse of a forlorn, hunchbacked figure high up in the darkening bell towers.


Comments

  1. Read like a travel blog! and those are some of my fav writings. Btw, which poem of Donne was it?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering the Roses

Thank you for the memories

The two most precious things in the city...