Those little things


Like my last post, I will be revisiting another moving and beautiful piece of writing here, something that makes one pause and ponder. This came out years back in the Times Of India newspaper. And as was my habit back then, I had diligently written it down in my diary. Thanks to that habit and also due to a much limited internet presence in those days, my diary is now a wonderful collection of evocative and sometimes poignant little sketches.


When I look at a patch of dandelions, I see a bunch of weeds that are going to take over my garden. My kids see flowers for Mom and blowing white fluff you can wish on.

When I look at an old drunk and he smiles at me, I see a smelly, dirty person who probably wants money and I look away. My kids see someone smiling at them and they smile right back.

When I hear music I love, I know I can't carry a tune and don't have much rhythm, so I sit self-consciously and listen. My kids feel the beat and move to it. They sing out the words. If they don't know them, they make up their own.

When I feel wind on my face, I brace myself against it. I feel it messing up my hair and pulling me back when I walk. My kids close their eyes, spread their arms and fly with it, until they fall to the ground laughing.

When I pray, I say thee and thou and grant me this, give me that. My kids say , "Hi God! Thanks for my toys and my friends. Please keep the bad dreams away tonight. Sorry, I don't want to go to Heaven yet. I would miss my Mommy and Daddy. "

When I see a mud puddle I step around it. I see muddy shoes and dirty carpets. My kids sit in it. They see dams to build, rivers to cross, and worms to play with.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize that they were the big things.


Childhood - the lost wonder. A time of bedtime stories and wishing on stars. Of Enid Blyton and Famous Five. Of desperately wishing to have a 'Timmy' of my own. Of dreaming to disappear down secret tunnels and caves and discovering some lost pirate treasure. Of having a sudden urge to join a boarding school even and to go away on camping trips during 'summer hols'.
Those days may have long evaporated into the mists of time and lost in the trappings that come with the responsibilities of being a 'grown-up'. Still, the magic lies in keeping the child within us alive, to keep that spark burning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for the memories

Remembering the Roses

The two most precious things in the city...