A Clown's Prayer...and My Thoughts


A Clown's Prayer :

As I stumble through this life,
help me to create more laughter than tears,
dispense more cheer than gloom,
spread more cheer than despair.


Never let me become so indifferent,
that I will fail to see the wonders in the eyes of a child,
or the twinkle in the eyes of the aged.


Never let me forget that my total effort is to cheer people,
make them happy, and forget momentarily,
all the unpleasantness in their lives.


And in my final moment,
may I hear You whisper:
"When you made My people smile,
you made Me smile."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clown%27s_Prayer

I had first read 'A Clown's Prayer' in the Reader's Digest magazine years back in school. To say it was moving or inspirational would be just stating the obvious. It is a little gem, iridescent and luminous.
I had written it down in my precious diary immediately after reading it, and today, I am writing it down again in a different format but with the same intent, to remind myself of the possibilities of a simple, happy, carefree existence.
I owe a lot to this wonderful magazine as it has shaped my sensibilities and ideals in more ways than one. I have been more influenced and inspired by the real-life stories carried by Reader's Digest than anything else.
This post, I hope, would be the first of many to come as I reprise the lessons of life that this magazine taught me.

Comments

  1. Nice one. Reader's Digest is one of the best magazines I grew up with. The good thing about it is that you can read any issue any day.

    I have alarge collection of around 50-100 RDs in my home in Bangalore. I am going home next week, and reading this post now only makes me want to sit in a bean bag and read through some random article of a 1990s RD.

    Hey Bids, notice how RD is the acronym for two of our favorite things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observation there buddy. RD surely rocks!
    And you just described a perfectly lazy yet stimulating day -> plonking down on a bean bag with 1990s RD.
    Though I must say the newer RDs are very disappointing, all glitz and no substance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It says it all :) simple and carefree. and, that's how life should be! i am quite disappointed to know from you the new RDs are not that great.. i've been a RD fan for the longest too. I used to love those humorous snippets at the bottom of the pages and you know, simple lives then!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank you for the memories

Remembering the Roses

The two most precious things in the city...